The goal of this program is to provide you with the tools and skills necessary to counsel and educate patients on injectable medications and immunizations. We will also provide you with the practical skills to comfortably inject your patients with the appropriate medications. Through this certification process pharmacists can enhance the delivery of care they provide their patients and offer another cognitive service in their practice.
Every province has slightly different standards of practice. It is important for all pharmacists to ensure they are meeting the standards of their province and to adapt their practice if these standards or policies change. For the administration of drugs by injection, the Saskatchewan College of Pharmacists subscribes to the NAPRA Model Standards of Practice and Competencies for Canadian Pharmacists.
Upon successful completion of this continuing education module, you will be able to:
- Assess a patient prior to injection or immunization.
- Demonstrate the technical skills required for subcutaneous, intramuscular and intradermal injections.
- Ensure the appropriateness of the injected medication.
- Ensure safe medication preparation.
- Discuss the importance of monitoring a patient after injection.
- Karen Jensen, BSP, MSc (Pharm)
- Lisa Bagonluri, EBAC
- Loretta van Haarlem, RN, MPH
- Jill Friedt, RN, BSN, MSc Nursing)
CCCEP File Number: 1281-2015-1359-B-P
This continuing education program has been accredited by the Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) for a total of 3 CEUs.
Accreditation expires: April 27, 2018
For further inquiries, please email us at: